If you are currently receiving SNAP benefits (Food Stamps) and you want to know what foods you can buy with your EBT Card then do well to read on.
In this article, we will provide you with the list of eligible food items you can buy with the EBT Card.
The main fact is the SNAP benefits program is aimed at providing nutritious foods to eligible low-income persons and families.
The United States Department of Agriculture who are in charge of this program, has strict guidelines to make sure that the money is been spent to buy nutritious food items and nothing more.
As a general rule, you can use SNAP food stamps to buy any food item except food that is hot when sold and food that is sold to be eaten in-store like restaurant food.
Eligible Food Stamps Item
A household can use SNAP to buy the following;
- Bread and Cereal
- Food and Vegetables
- Meats, Fishes, and Poultry
- Diary products
- Seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat.
In some areas, restaurants can be authorized to accept SNAP benefits from qualified homeless, elderly or disabled people in exchange for low-cost meals.
The household cannot use SNAP benefits to buy the following;
- Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco
- Pet foods, grooming items
- Soap, paper products, cosmetics
- Household supplies
- Vitamins and medicine
- Food that will be eaten in the store
- Hot food
You can buy snacks but they are strict guidelines regarding junk foods as outlined by the USDA
- Snacks that are eligible may include;
- Soft drinks, ice cream
- Cookies, snack crackers, candy, bakery cakes
- Seafood, steak
- An energy drink that has a nutrition Fact label are eligible
- An energy drink that has a supplement fact label are not eligible
- Live animals and birds are not eligible but live fish such as lobsters and other shellfish is eligible
- Pumpkins are eligible
- Birthday and other special occasions items are eligible.
It is important that you pay close attention to this list as any violation of the rules or conspiring with someone to violate the rules will be seen as Food Stamp Fraud.
Food Stamp Fraud can land you in big trouble with the government and even some possible jail time.
It is a serious offense and any good and loyal citizen should run far away from it.
Hope this article was helpful and hope you now know all the food items that are eligible to be purchased with SNAP.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?